Tuesday, August 24, 2010
Back to School Night
So tonight was back to school night for parents and I'm feeling better about yellow-gate as I'm now referring to it. The teacher told us that virtually all of the students have been moved to yellow over the last week primarily because she is being strict with the rules in an effort to help the kids understand how important they are to follow and do so without much thought. The teacher was not terribly concerned about any of the incidents that have occurred and said specifically about Little Miss that she is "very teachable". She sees what I see which is a kid who absolutely knows right from wrong and appears genuinely remorseful when she makes a bad decision. I shared that I didn't want to overreact or insert myself in issues that are well handled at school but I also want Little Miss to be clear that our expectation is that she is following the rules and that if that's not happening consequences will carry over at home. She assured me that she would call us if she feels that the behavior issues are not short term as she gets used to being in Kindergarten. She also pointed out that most of the kids in her class have gone to Pre-K at the school and so they are more familiar with the general routine of things and may not have as much to get familiar with. She seemed very confident that this was all very normal and nothing to be terribly concerned about which was hugely reassuring. She was also pleased to hear that Little Miss is accurately reporting what is happening at school. So, I'm feeling much better! I think one of the hardest parts of parenting an only child and being raised as an only child is that I honestly have nothing to compare her behavior to other than what I remember my own to be as a child. So what's typical and what's not is largely a mystery to me. Regardless of any of that, this parenting gig is not for sissies! :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment