Saturday, November 28, 2009

First Sleep Over

So tonight Little Miss is spending the night at her friend Mackenzi's house. They have known each other since they were a year old and they are very much alike. Sometimes that's a good thing and sometimes it's not. Over the course of the last three years we have also gotten to know her parents and a friendship has developed. Mackenzi's mom and I have been talking for awhile about getting them together for a play date outside of school. Somewhere along the line it morphed into planning a sleep over. For the past few months I've been playing the, "yeah, we'll have to plan that soon" in hopes that it wouldn't actually ever materialize. So much for that brilliant plan. It wasn't that I had any problems with Mackenzi or Little Miss spending some time at her house, it just seemed that four was a little early for overnights with friends. I have to say that some of this is my own weird baggage. I was probably 11 or 12 before I could stay the night anywhere without insisting my parents come and get me. No kidding. I know Little Miss has her own personality, but I'm just shocked that she is so comfortable with being gone overnight. Of course, she stays at Grammy's a few times a year with no problems, so I suppose this isn't all that different. I took her over this afternoon after her nap and she was actually kind of grouchy and pouty up until we got there. Once we got there she wasn't exactly reserved, but she did seem a little on the guarded side. Mackenzi was as excited as she could be. As soon as we rang the doorbell we heard Mackenzi shouting Little Miss' name with excitement. It was adorable. I stayed for just a few minutes, but in the 10-15 minutes I was there Little Miss felt compelled to tattle on Mackenzi twice for "being mean to me." Sigh. She was perfectly fine when I left and gave me a big hug and so did Mackenzi. Overall I think it will be really good for her to spend some time with someone her own age over this long weekend. 

Little Miss and Mackenzi a few weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment